Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Suitcase Sightings

One of my favorite Tacoma artists, Christopher Hoppin, emailed me to let me know about the final event of the Suitcase Sightings project in Tacoma. And since I love his work, I decided to go. I already have some of his work adorning my kitchen & thought I could maybe make room for just one more. So off Jewel and I went to check out the suitcases.


I saw this little case in the silent auction & thought it might be just right for Katie's Judy Garland collection. Happy Birthday Katie! When you come home for Christmas we will have to go visit it at the Museum of Flight because it is one of the 30 pieces that has been selected to be displayed there through February 4th. I met the artist, Vivien Kleiner, she made it with her daughter Jaquelyn. Their inspiration was Jaquelyn's return home from Kansas.

And then the bidding for the live auction started. I planted myself and waited for Christopher's suitcase to hit the block. I had an idea of how much I wanted to spend, but was ready to go higher. I opened the bidding, I was determined to get this suitcase & people who have been to auctions with me know that I don't like to lose. Someone from behind me bids. I bid again. They bid, I bid. They bid. I bid. They bid. I bid. Ok, I am now leaving my comfort zone, so I start thinking a little before my bid. My enemy does not. Against my own best advice I keep bidding, slower now, but I keep bidding. Finally, I give in, I give up, I quit, before this turns into another Raku Party. Oh well, at least Christopher has a new fan & someone else will get to enjoy his work in their home. I look over to see my nemesis and who do I see ... Teri Placentia. Teri is a friend, Katie's drawing teacher in High School and was the hostess of the before mentioned Raku Party. My first instinct was to leap the 14 people between us and punch her lights off. Then, I regained my sanity since she could probably flatten me in a fist fight. At least if I couldn't take the bag home, I know it will have a good home that I am allowed to visit, generous of you Teri.


And the winner is .... ME! Finally. I think I got the most beautiful suitcase there, Pair O Dice, by Connie Diffenderfer & Jacque Willis. They are stained glass artists & you know I have a thing for glass artists. It has some fun secret messages embedded in them. This too will be going to the Museum of Flight with Katie's case & Teri's case.

3 Comments:

At 10/10/2005 2:33 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Silly girl, I want you out? I look around & you look pretty out already. Thinkin' you better not show up in a foriegn country or UNICEF carrying a "Where not in Kansas anymore" makeup case unless you want to get some pretty strange looks. Just remember there is no place like home. & you'll know when I really want you out, your bedroom & the mighty spice room will turn beautiful shades of green :)

 
At 10/10/2005 9:51 PM, Blogger Grandma Willoughby said...

Ooooh...aaaaahhh....purty suitcases.
And, Ms. Sandy, you got the best one of all. Love the stained glass.
I'll have to come visit it, once it's at your house.

 
At 10/10/2005 10:21 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

OK, I have it in writing so I will hold you to that. Hopefully you will come before the suitcase arrives in February, for a test visit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home