Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Katie's at school ...

... and my life has become boring as you can see from my pitiful lack of blogging. Actually one teeny tiny interesting thing did happen last week, I have a new job. FINALLY! I have been thinking seriously about a new job when the classroom that I have worked in for the past 3 years was eliminated in June. Budget cuts. Thanks to Jessica and Sarah, I went to a couple of conferences and took bunches of classes in Autism. Autism is an area that I think I could make a difference with kids. So I applied for two jobs in August & went on two interviews, fun. I was offered one position & turned it down & was rejected by the Fife School District, sob. Even with my inside wheeler and dealer, Mr. Peter, I couldn't bust into most likely the best district in the south sound, sad. I thought I might be trapped in General Ed for life. Now there is nothing wrong with General Ed, but most of the kids do their work and don't complain. How fun is that??? Then this past Tuesday I got an interview with the Autism program at Franklin (a mere 2.2 miles from my house & just 3 blocks from the Mandolin Cafe). Hey Tracy, I could ride my bike to work & stop for a latte' before I head home ... how cool is that? On Thursday I got the call that I had the job & I took it! It was at the same moment that Paul, the teacher that I am currently working with got a job offer of his own & he took it. It's like the final scenes in the movie Backdraft ... You go, I go.



Here's a picture of Franklin elementary (sorry about the tiny picture, I lifted it off of the Tacoma website & they aren't very generous with their pixels). They have 4 Autism classrooms & I think my job is in the 3,4,5 classroom with the oldest kids. It was a weird interview in the fact that it wasn't held at the school & the teacher wasn't part of the interview team. They have more than one opening so I am just trusting the universe & the special ed director that I land in the classroom that is the best fit for me. They did ask what my preference was & truth be told, I would love to work with the preschoolers. But I never say that in interviews, I always pull a Mother Teresa. I say things like, oh, wherever you think I will fit best or wherever you need me the most. Because the bottom line for me is that all kids deserve adults that want to be with them & will do there best. Administrators are now duking it out over when I will start. Franklin wants me this Monday, Fawcett doesn't want to cut me loose yet. Since Paul is leaving I am sure Fawcett would prefer me to stay until the new teacher gets all cozy and comfortable in the routine, but that's not happenin' either. So I am hoping for sometime next week, or the 10th at the very latest. Will keep y'all posted.

1 Comments:

At 10/06/2005 7:45 AM, Blogger TRACYS BIG BLOG said...

Congrats Sandy. You are such a wonderful person, the Fife School was just plain CRAZY for not taking you. You will be great at this new job. Oh, YES,....Ride to work girl. Get on that bike and ride. You are so lucky to have a job so close. I wish I could ride to work, but riding all the way up to Seattle everyday would just kill me.
Talk with ya later
Tracy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home