Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Sauvie Island Bike Ride

From my deck I look across the water to Sauvie Island. Sauvie Island is part farm land, part wildlife area and part bike ride. During the day (and evening) I watch the bikes ride up and down Sauvie Island Rd. So this morning I strapped the bike to the car and drove over to experience this ride for myself.

Sauvie Island is that big and mostly flat (my kinda ride) I did the 12 mile loop and then road out Sauvie Island Rd until I could see the houseboat from the other side.



Sauvie Island is a very popular bike ride and very bike friendly. The Island doesn't have a gas station, so pedal power is the way to go.



First thing you do is cross the Sauvie Island bridge. Not quite the Tacoma Narrows.



Then you go under the bridge and onto Gillihan Road. Cistus Nursery (Peter's favorite Oregon Nursery) which is about the half way point for the loop.





In the summer about every half mile is a sign for another u pick farm or vegetable/fruit stand. Berries are BIG BIZZ on Sauvie Island. Parking lots fill up by 10 am. Especially on those days that promise to hit 90 degrees.



Not me, as you can guess. No green & I haven't figured out yet to take my own action shot while I am on the bike. As you can see this cyclist is looking across the Channel to one of the Floating home moorages.



Sauvie Island, also known for their clothing optional beaches on the far side of the island (not my view, drat!). Didn't pedal that far today, but you can bet I will make it there before the end of the summer. C'mon down & I'll loan you a towel.

2 Comments:

At 7/08/2008 9:03 PM, Blogger TRACYS BIG BLOG said...

OH MY GOD, Sandy, what are you doing? So you were at the NUDE BEACH.....Did you see any thing that caught your fancy????
Tracy

 
At 7/10/2008 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave is all about the nude beach! He says he plans to come down and check that out and he thinks his fan club should be notified in advance!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home