Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Friday, June 27, 2008

A walk in the Park

Once of the 1000 best things about where Katie lives is that it is only blocks away from Portland's fabulous Washington Park. Today being the perfect Portland morning, blue skies, sunshine & not too hot yet, I ambled the 2 blocks to the trail that leads straight up to the park.



I did say "up to" didn't I? Well it is exactly 296 steps up to the park. With all of the twists and turns the route was rather deceptive the first time I used this trail, but now I know what to expect.



I just expect more steps. But I won't complain because every bit of the trip is green in every direction that you can look.



At the top, there is this little clearing with this enormous statue. It is entitled,"Coming of the White Man". Gazing over the tree tops at the full sprawl of Portland, I always think this is a bit ironic. Something wants me to get a can of red paint and spray onto the rock, "They're he-e-e-e-r-e".



Continue on and you will find yourself in this fabulous rose garden. Roses, roses, roses, contained in border of old growth timber. It is spectacular.



Now I know what you are thinking, "But Sandy, you don't like flowers." I like flowers. I like them best in a vase on my front table, not so much in my garden. They are so much work, and they do tend to take away from the green, but I can enjoy them in the gardens of others. I don't know how many full time gardeners they have working in this place, but I am sure someone picks up all the pedals that have fallen every hour. It is so well cared for that it is stunning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home