Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

UCLA fight! fight! fight!

True confessions: I don't talk much about my alma matter during football season. Not the proudest time of year for us Bruins. We quietly wait for basketball season to start. (BTW did you know we are currently ranked No. 1 in basketball?) This year I have been especially quiet. We lost to both UW and Wazzu. That alone describes what a dismal year we had.

And now we arrive at Dec. 2nd. The SC game. Gives me chills to even think about it. What, were they going to beat us again 54-0? It's particularly hard when your hated rival is just a mere 10 miles across town. When I went to school there our home field was their home field: the LA Coliseum on the edge of the SC campus. We only won once in the 4 years that I attended. Though UCLA now plays in the Rose Bowl (I think alumni lobbied for the move since we would never get there any other way) but we still don't win that game that much. The last time we beat SC was 1998. That means we haven't be them yet in this century.

Until yesterday. I watched the start of the game and it looked like it would be the same old thing. So I did my errands & when I got home I checked the computer to see how badly we lost. I discovered that the game wasn't over and we were ahead 13-9. So I turned the game on TV (I cannot begin to describe what I brave act that was) and watched. Literally, the longest 4+ minutes of my life. When SC started charging down the field, I'll admit it, I changed channels. I couldn't watch, it was too painful. After 30 seconds I switched back, just in time to see the interception that was the nail in SC's coffin. It was a beautiful thing. If your UCLA, you can lose every game all season long and beat SC and your season would be a success. It's particularly sweet when they are marching toward the National Championship game and we stick our foot out, trip them and leave them lying there with their face in the mud.

Just had to share :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home