Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My Fabulous and Rare Varigated Gingko




Isn't it beautiful? Isn't it amazing??? And so rare. At least Peter had never seen one before when we spotted one at the Tacoma Flower Show PREVIEW Gala. We would have bought it right then and there but the vendor was no where to be found. I suggested just writing a check and leaving it in the booth and taking the plant. In retrospect, I should have and will next year.

But it was a pricey little bugger so I was sure it would be waiting for me when I returned afterschool the next day. So I zoomed from school, paid my $20 to park and $15 to get into the show again. (Did I mention that I had already spent a ridiculous amount of money to get into the show the night before so I could purchase any plant I wanted before the general public got a crack at it?) Then I called Peter, who was doing the same thing to say neener, neener, neeeeeeener, beat cha! (In retrospect this was probably also a mistake) He was just leaving Fife and I was almost breaking into a jog to get to the vendor.

Oh oh! I am not spotting the Fabulous and Rare Varigated Gingko. So I asked the man, the one who didn't have the professionalism to show up the night before, where was the Fabulous and Rare Varigated Gingko? Oh, it sold first thing this morning. But I saw it last night. Then with the world's biggest, dumbest grin he told me, First come, First serve. This did not go over well. I can't tell you if it was what he said or the way he said it, but I began to feel hot steam escaping from my ears. Did I mention that I still had Peter on the phone and I think I was detecting some giggling? At this point, my composure and civility took a sudden. downward spiral. I began to lay into this retail menace as he stared at me, grin widening. He didn't think he could sell during the Gala. I stated that Peter and I didn't have any problem spending a ton of money with the other vendors. Did he have or could he get any others? Nope, that was the only one, it being so fabulous and rare. I think my face began to emit a red glow at this point. And I was definitely hearing giggling on the other end of the phone. Deep breath.

So this trip and the expenses acured wouldn't be a total waste, I asked Peter if there were any plants he didn't get last night that I could get for him today? I admit that was like asking the biggest stoner you knew in high school if they would be interested in one more little toke. Of course, there were two plants. Both at this very vendor. So the whole getting mad at him and I will never, ever do business with you thing was totally wasted as I wrote him an $85 check.

Now fast forward to this past Saturday when i was picking up my Vespa. Peter calls and asks me if I remembered the Fabulous and Rare Varigated Gingko? Well of course. So guess what kind of plant he found at Bamford and Bamford? No, he didn't? Yes, he did. And he bought it. And as fate would have it, about the time he was ready to leave, the owner showed up and he had a conversation with her about the Fabulous and Rare Varigated Gingko. It seems that even though he just bought it, it wasn't really for sale. But she had left the price tag on it and since her employee sold it, she would honor the sale. So then Snidely Peter asked her where she got it. (Are you sitting down, because I am) Oh she picked up at the Tacoma Flower and Garden Show from a vendor right when they opened on Friday morning. This was the same Fabulous and Rare Varigated Gingko. Was that Peter still giggling on the phone? Lucky for me, he is such a good and kind and thoughtful friend, he is extending me a generous visitation plan where I can go visit my plant any time I want to in his backyard. How truly fortunate for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home