Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Chris doesn't listen to me

Last week I decided to start biking outside. I know it's February & it's cold ( I don't ride in cold & inclement weather!!) but I was thinking that I might toodle through the neighborhood, if it gets warmer, toward the end of the month. My ultimate goal is to ride to work in March maybe 3 days a week. So, with this in mind, I asked Chris Sharp if he would stop by, give my bike the once over, put air in the tires for me so it would be ready, when I am ready.

Chris got even more excited about me riding again than I was. He volunteered to go riding with me some Sunday. I told him that I would get myself in a little better shape & then we could make plans toward the end of Feb, or maybe March, weather permitting. A few days later he emailed me to ask what time we would go riding this Sunday. Hello Chris, not this Sunday, not ready, too cold. Again an email, then a phone call, and he arrived at my house today at 10 am all geared up with his bike and ready to ride. Sheesh!





So with my bike shoes on, helmet, etc, I slowly climbed on my bike and started to pedal. Chris, where are we headed??? My work????? That's 7 miles away, mostly down hill there, very uphill back. Very, very, very uphill back through downtown Tacoma. Yikes!!! Uh Chris??? I think it's starting to rain & was that wet snow????? It's a balmy 33 degrees & I am now getting officially wet. This is not good. This is really not good.

Made it into Fife, pretty easily, though it is really, really cold. Chris is wearing shoe covers & is complaining that his feet are getting numb. Don't look for sympathy from me buddy! The trip back was quite the challenge for me. I hadn't gotten the hang of changing gears going up hill when both me & my bike thought it would be fun to lay down on some friendly dirt. It was nice to take a moment to look up to the sky and appreciate the day.

The great news is that I did survive & it wasn't all that bad. Though tomorrow parts of me might be crying in pain.




Thank you Chris.

3 Comments:

At 2/04/2008 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your hip isn't bruised. You did great!

Chris

 
At 2/05/2008 3:28 PM, Blogger TRACYS BIG BLOG said...

Way to go Sandy. I am so proud of you. I wish I was still in Tacoma, I would come ride with you and Chris. But we would have to ride to Puyallup and do like a haf century. 50 miles, not bad. you can do it. hahahah. I think I remember you lying in the street on 6th ave. ummmmm, yes, I remember that....
Tracy

 
At 2/05/2008 6:58 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Yes, I remember that piece of pavement at 6th & alder. But I am improving, this time I landed in nice, soft dirt ..... on 6th ave I believe I was in the left hand turn lane.

I'll do a half century in Puyallup with you anytime!

Sandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home