Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Queen Amazing

I discovered Queen Latifah in the movie "Chicago". I loved her song "When you're good to Mama", ask Katie how many times I've sung this to her. This summer I really enjoyed the new movie "Hairspray" and Queen Latifah's character, Motormouth Maybelle. What surprised me was her new album, "Traveling Light" which features jazz, ballads and other standards. I loved the album and was very excited when I heard that she was coming to Tacoma on November 28th.



Tacoma was so lucky to be the last stop on her tour. She was amazing!!! She is a gifted and talented singer. She is a generous performer, giving all of the musicians on stage with her a hefty solo center stage. She listened to all of the audience members who called out to her, asking them to repeat what they said if she didn't understand. Often responding in song. A very genuine and down to earth human being who laughed at herself when she burped on mike. What a totally special evening and I felt so very fortunate to have been there!

2 Comments:

At 12/01/2007 5:12 PM, Blogger TRACYS BIG BLOG said...

Oh, my GOD. Did you get to see her? I love Queen Latifah. She is amazing. I hope you are doing ok, I was so glad I was able to talk to you the other day. I sure do miss you guys. This place still SUCKS.....
Tracy

 
At 12/05/2007 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard a great interview with her on NPR about this album and it made me very interested in getting it. She talked about how the song Poetry Man was her mom's favorite song and how she had to talk to her mom about it before she decided to record the song. Thanks for the video too, that was great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home