Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Ashland Weekend

I'm spending a nice long weekend in Ashland, Yeah!!! Got lots of BIG plans with Miss Katie & her friends, Yeah!!! We are going to see the Preview Weekend of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Tonight is Shakespeares, "A Winter's Tale" and tomorrow night "The Diary of Anne Frank". We will also hit every favorite restaurant in town, which is hard to do in just 4 days since their are too many fabulous restaurants in Ashland to name. Last night was dinner at Wiley's World. Off the beaten path of the tourists and a big favorite of the locals, Wiley's has EXCELLENT pasta.

Today I woke up to a light dusting of snow on the ground, which didn't last much past sunrise. Then I went down to breakfast & watched the poor Women's (got that Jenn, Women's, not Ladies) Hockey team lose to Sweden. I may never be allowed to watch them again since they were up 2-0 when I started watching and they lost in an overtime shoot out 3-2. I am a curse, I tell you. I picked up Katie at noon and we were off to Greenleaf. Great deli & restaurant with too many good choices. Then we wandered down to Webster's, a knitting store (I know you are shocked). Poor Katie was not in the mood to shop, so in a masterful ploy to get me back to the hotel so she could relax she said, "Can you teach me to knit?" Well after the woman in the store revived me, we bought Katie sticks and yarn and hurried back to the hotel. I didn't have the heart to tell her that while knitting is relaxing after you learn, learning to knit is anything but relaxing. To my amazement Katie picked it right up & is a natural. See Katie knit.



Knit Katie knit!


AFter a wonderful afternoon of knitting, Katie's buddy Jenny came over after her job interview. The good news JENNY GOT THE JOB!!! She'll be working at another fabulous Ashland restaurant, Martino's. Why do we get so excited when we have friends on the inside of the most popular establishments? Well I'll tell you. Jenny was going to the play with us tonight, but dinner first at Red Robin where her roommate Stephanie works. We walked into Red Robin at 5:50pm where there is not a parking space to be found and at least 35 people in the lobby waiting. They immediately show us to our table that Stephanie was saving us in her section. We love Stephanie. Stephanie got a whopper of a tip. The only unfortunate thing is that the hostess didn't get Jenny's hint to seat some hot guys next to us. The 3 guys she did seat next to us, yeah, very not hot.



Then off to the play which was fabulous. I didn't know the plot of Winter's Tale, but 10 minutes into it is was easy to follow. Costumes great, set great, acotrs great. WE loved it. Even Jenny, who hasn't been to a play in Ashland and dove into the deep end with Shakespeare, enjoyed it. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that we stopped by Katie's dorm on the way to the play. Katie wouldn't let us into her room, rude! So we did what anyone would do, we stood at her door & when it opened started flashing pictures like Hollywood Paperazzi! Obviously the professionals have better cameras than I do. All of my pictures turned out blurry (lucky katie). So you are left with an Impressionist version of Katie's Dorm Room. Monet would have been proud.



Just one more peek at Katie's knitting. I know, I need to just be nonchalant about this so I don't scare her off. No tatoo's proclaiming "Katie Knits! 2-17-06". I just hope that she enjoys it as much as I do. Ok, I'm calm. La di da di da (nonchalant).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home