Artichokes and Pink Martini

If you like artichokes, Pink Martini, knitting, then read on. If you are interested in the woes of losing the last 20 lbs or working in education, then read on. If you want to know what it's like to be an empty nester or to share that nest with to two dogs, then read on. If you want to know what the theme is for Monday night dinner, when the kayaks are going out, or who was at the Y at 5am, then read on. If none of this interests you, just hit the button that says "next blog", & read on.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Ciao Florence!

Finally Florence! I have wanted to visit Florence as long as I can remember. After a flight from Seattle to Heathrow (not Terminal 5, thank heaven), a bus to Gatwick, a flight from Gatwick to Pisa, an then a midnight bus ride to Florence.




I arrived in Florence at 1 am in the morning. I took a quick cab from the Florence train station to the Grand Hotel Minerva, on the Piazza Santa Maria Novella



It is a great old world hotel with a fabulous view. I looked out my hotel window early the next morning and saw this wonderful medieval church. It was the first of my WOW Italia moments. I first studied this church in an Art History class circa 1979 at Ucla. Up until this moment, I had only seen this church on a slide show during a lecture.




Now it's time to wander the streets of Florence on my own. A few turns through the winding streets and I catch a glimpse of the Duomo.



Standing in the piazza was truly breathtaking. This cathedral is soooooo huge that pictures can't capture its awesomeness. all of the great masters of painting & sculpture in Florence in the 13th, 14th & 15th centuries. I had to pinch myself that I was really standing there.

1 Comments:

At 4/19/2008 11:02 PM, Blogger Arctic Knitter said...

I am GREEN with envy!!!! I adore Firenze! The bapistry doors, the great food, the flea market - the incredible vistas! Ahh! I too have taken the midnight bus ride from Pisa to Firenze (not by choice) - I'll have to share that story w/you when I'm down in WA in June.

Ciao Bella!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home